Implanon (Birth Control Arm Implant Miami)
Implanon Insertion and Removal
Insertion of Implanon (Birth Control Arm Implant)
At Miami Urgent Care and Family Practice we have same day appointments available to both insert or remove the implantatable birth control device, Implanon. We are trained and certified by the company that makes Implanon to both insert and remove this implantable contraceptive device.
Implanon is a contraceptive implant that is placed just under the skin in your upper arm a few inches from your elbow. It contains a synthetic hormone very similar to the natural female hormone progesterone. A tiny amount of the hormone is released into your system for three years.
Implanon is one of the most effective methods of preventing pregnancy that we know of today. It works by preventing the release of an egg from the ovaries and it also changes the mucus at the tip of the uterus (cervix) making it difficult for sperm to enter the uterus.
So here is just some of the good and the bad that our patients tell us about Implanon.
Many of our patients choose Implanon over other methods of preventing pregnancy for the following reasons:
- One of the most reliable methods of preventing pregnancy (over 99 percent effective)
- You only need to visit us every three years to have it removed and a new one inserted at the same visit
- It does not interfere with having sex. Some like it because there is no interruption for the male to put on a condom
- Once it is removed fertility returns very quickly compared to birth control pills or depoprovera injections
- There is no need to worry about taking a tablet every day
- It can be used by woman who don't do well with estrogens
- Sometimes it can even be taken while breast feeding (check with your pediatrician)
Well, like everything else in medicine there are some disadvantages and things our patients don't like about it. Here's a few things we have heard.
- Your bleeding may change and become more frequent, more prolonged, less frequent, absent or heavier
- Sometimes the implant can move and make it more difficult to remove
- Some people get a small scar at the site
And there are some rare serious complications like with most other hormonal contraceptives like blood clots and liver problems.
These are just a few of the good things and bad things we hear about Implanon. We'd like you to come in for a consultation and discuss implanon with our provider experts to learn more and to have all your questions answered. Just like all the other services we offer at Miami Urgent Care and Family Practice, we feel like it is our job to teach you and your job to decide on whether this or an alternative method of birth control is best for you.
Removal of Implanon (Removal of Birth Control Arm Implant)
Well what about if you had Implanon inserted somewhere else, are having problems with it or just want to have it removed. We are here to help you with that as well. Removal, although a minor surgery, is usually quite simple with minimal discomfort and takes about 15 minutes in our on site operating suite.
Once again it is our philosophy at Miami Urgent Care and Family Practice that the best medical care is not only provided by expertly trained doctors and physician assistants but those doctors and physician assistants must be available when you need that care. We don't think you should have to wait weeks to have your Implanon inserted or worse yet removed when you are experiencing troublesome symptoms from the device.
We are the only urgent care in Miami or anywhere else that we know of offering same day appointments for insertion or removal of Implanon.
Call us today and see how quickly we can assist you. Just another way we can show you how unique we are and just much we care.